Error during update Ryan Franklin Bashes Cardinals Fans | StlSportsMinute.com

Ryan Franklin Bashes Cardinals Fans

| April 21, 2011 | 13 Comments
Ryan Franklin has been getting bashed by hitters all season.
 After getting booed by Cardinals fans on Wednesday
afternoon, Franklin decided to bash Cardinals fans. – Photo
courtesy of Getty Images

Ryan Franklin has been brutal all season.

There is not a single way you can sugar coat it.

He has a a 9.40 ERA and is 0-2 on the young season.  He has also blown 4 saves in 5 opportunities through 18 games in 2011.

Brutal is the only way you can describe it.

So, when Cardinals fans booed Franklin after he allowed an 8th inning home run to Washington Nationals outfielder Laynce Nix, Ryan Franklin got upset.

Sure La Russa made a mistake leaving Franklin out their for a second inning of work after a 1-2-3 7th inning, Franklin still got blistered.  Again.

So while the opposition continues to bash Franklin’s pitches, Franklin decided to bash Cardinals fans who booed him on Wednesday afternoon.

Here is what Franklin told B.J. Rains of Fox Sports Midwest regarding his treatment by the home town fans during Wednesday’s game.

“I guess they have short memories too because I think I’ve been pretty good here. It doesn’t bother me, but it just shows some people’s true colors. You’re either a fan or you’re not. “

“You don’t boo your own team. I don’t care who you are or what you say or just because you spent your money to come here to watch us play that somebody happens to make one bad pitch and give up a homer and you are going to start booing him? I’ve been here for five years, and four years I’ve been pretty good.”

“You should go write stories about the fans booing.  They are supposed to be the best fans in baseball. Yeah right.”

Strong words from a reliever who has yet to make a strong pitch this entire season.

Updated!

After the Cardinals victory in the second game of the double header, Franklin contacted Cardinals beat reporter Matthew Leach to apologize for his statements.

“Obviously these last 2 1/2 weeks have been frustrating for me, and I’m frustrated with myself. I can understand why the fans are frustrated. I’ve loved my time here in St. Louis. It’s my favorite place to play. It’s just a frustrating time for me right now, because I feel like I’m letting everyone down.

“First and foremost, I’m letting myself down. I’m letting the team down and obviously the fans. It’s just been a hard time for me right now, and it’s something I’ve never been through. It’s just really frustrating. Things didn’t come out the right way. It was right after the game and I said things I shouldn’t have said. I apologize for that. It was the wrong thing to say, but at the same time I was frustrated. I am frustrated. I’m just trying to do my best to do everything I can to get back on track. So that’s what I’m trying to do. I’m trying to get back out there and help this team.”

Sources:

Category: Cardinals

About the Author ()

Corey Rudd is the owner/editor of StlSportsMinute.com. His work has appeared over at Yahoo Sports, Bleacher Report and KSDK.com and he fills in as a host on CBS Sports 920 AM in St. Louis. You can reach him by email corey@stlsportsminute.com and follow him on Twitter @CoreyRudd

Comments (13)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. SB says:

I wouldn’t boo him.

SB

2. JJ says:

Cut him some slack. We’re all human. Maybe he needs a power beard like Brian Wilson.

3. Anonymous says:

Fans boo failures. It’s not personal.

4. Anonymous says:

What’s the difference between Frankin and a Christmas tree? The tree only gets lit up at night.

5. Anonymous says:

Been a Cardinal fan for 40 years, and yes, poor performances happen. Some fans voice displeasure. Take it Franklin and use it as fuel. Don’t fire back. Templeton’s days were numbered after flipping the “bird” to fans. Andujar’s days were numbered after going berserk in the 1985 World Series. This organization doesn’t want “head cases”. Franklin, you are next if you don’t do serious damage control. Start by getting some outs. Fans will cheer again.

6. Anonymous says:

I can understand the booing, although I think it unnecessary. The man is already being hard on himself. He hardly needs to be piled on. What I don’t understand is all the comments I read that call him a “bum” and such like. He has done a lousy job, but that hardly qualifies him as a bum. Show me hitter who leaves his bat on his shoulder and doesn’t hustle, and I’ll show you a bum. Show me a man who gives his all and fails, and I will show you a frustrated player–not a bum.

7. Anonymous says:

Come on Cardinal nation, grow up! Boo’s need to be reserved for umpires and folks in the catagory as Manny R. Ryan F. is one of “ours.” Let’s support him as he goes through a tough time in his professional life!

8. Anonymous says:

He’s been a good pitcher. This is a tough time for RF mainly because there is the guy s in the clubhouse that he doesn’t want to let down and yet it happened often this young season. Hopefully the fans do not boo him but encourage him and RF pushes himself to validate his role and his skills. We all know he has the tools. Incoming 40+ saves!

9. Anonymous says:

RF’s problems started last year. This is simply a carry over and I suspect his time in St. Louis is short. Sometimes when fans are upset with management for making lame brained decisions it transfers to a player. Continuing to expect RF to be a viable asset is stupidity. Send him down to get his head together or relese him or expect the Boos to continue.

10. Anonymous says:

The man makes millions of dollars a year to do one job a few times a year, and thats to pitch for one or two innings at the end of a game to “close” it. While no one expects him to be Gagne, an 80% failure rate for a professional “closer” is something that deserves booing. For all of you who think that people are being too hard on him, remember, he’s a grown man who’s paid well to do his job, booing is just a minor drawback of that job. Sometimes Cardinals fans are just too nice. Being the best fans in baseball doesn’t mean we have to pat everyone on the back and say it’s ok after multiple increasingly dismal performances.

11. Anonymous says:

Do not worry Mr. Franklin, you will get them next time…oops, there goes another run. OK, well the time after that…err, there goes two more runs.
    Shazam! After hearing that Mr.Franklin just needs more time on the mound, I say give him all the time he wants/needs…they call this place the Minors. Heck, he can pitch twice on Sundays if he wishes.

I wish Mr. Franklin well in all that he does. If he needs time in the Minors, so be it. While I am a fan and do have the say so as to what happens to him, I can tell you that insulting the fan base is NOT the way to go (unless you are looking to get out of St.Lou)…

12. Anonymous says:

Plain and simple…booing your own team is sad. You should spend more time trying to support your team not cursing them otherwise whats the point of being a fan? You have to deal with the good and the bad..its sports. you win some you lose some. I’n this case its a rough patch.

13. Anonymous says:

ryan has been fortunate .I think he’s been lucky a lot of time to get 3 outs in the ninth.but then again I think im manager is lucky to get the wins he’s got because he’s got great players that’s why. spoiled rich athletes do not deserve my pity.